Why we get a Pimple
A Pimple is a pustule that happens on the skin due to clogging of the pore. A pimple can last from a few days to 6 weeks.
Mistakes Made when popping
It feels uncomfortable in the skin because the skin gets inflamed within the pore where we have nerve endings. There is a strong urge to pop it.
So many things go wrong when you pop a pimple.
- You may push the bacteria further into the skin causing more inflammation
- You may damage the pore and get the pustules in the same location
- You may irritate the melanocytes and lead to hyperpigmentation
There is a right way to pop a pimple.
Option 1 - Salicylic Acid
You can use this option if the pimple is just starting to form and you want to get rid of the pimple.
- Use 20% salicylic acid in a gel form. This is a very high concentration that will be a chemical peel at this strength.
- Put the salicylic acid on a q-tip.
- Apply Directly on to the spot. Make sure your skin is dry.
- Leave it for 3-5 minutes.
- Wash the spot with cold for 2 full minutes as you need to neutralize the acid.
- Apply a thick moisturizer with ceramides in it.
Option 2 - Witch Hazel
You can use this option if the pimple is already formed and matured. Witch Hazel has tannins in it that act as an astringent which basically dries out that pustule.
Witch Hazel also acts as an anti-inflammatory. Make sure it has no fragrance or alcohol in it and patch test to make sure you don’t have a reaction with it before applying on the pimple.
Apply witch hazel 4-6 times within 24 hour period
Table of contents