1. If you see a person showing symptoms of personality disorder, encourage them to seek help. They will get defensive, do not argue with them. Express your feelings and concerns instead.
2. The first symptom of health anxiety is that when a person senses a symptom, they start thinking “OMG what could this be? Let me search google. Is it going to lead to something else? Am I unhealthy?
3. Looking for guarantees is the biggest thing that is keeping you from healing your health anxiety.
A guarantee on every medication, therapy, and a guarantee that you will be safe, a guarantee that your symptoms are related to anxiety. And even if you start believing that, it will be brief.
Instead of looking for guarantees, adopt the right attitude. When you stop looking for guarantees, you start to let go. Start questioning all your cravings for guarantees whenever they pop up.
4. Believing 100% that your symptoms are related to anxiety and stress and not something else is the first step to healing your health anxiety. Not taking an opinion or going to google to search for the symptom. You have to accept that the symptom is related to your anxiety.
5. When a symptom arises, don’t fight with it by asking “are you gonna get worse? Are you connected to a disease or illness?”.
This much focus on a particular symptom eats up on the person’s willpower and their ability to engage in whats taking place in the present moment. Start understanding what your body is trying to tell you. Look at what you are suppressing, the fears, the angers, the doubts, the un forgiveness towards yourself and others.
You must be open to taking in those messages, and using them to be able to resolve what your body wants you to resolve.
Stop fighting what you are fighting with on the inside, and begin understanding them.
6. Replace fear of your symptoms with unconditional love for why they are there. Yes.
Say “Thank you very much for looking out for me. Thank you for warning me of something that is going to arise in the future that is connected to a trauma from the past. Thank you subconscious body for carrying this information until now, and letting me know that i can resolve what needs to be resolved through my conscious mind today.
When you can spread love for the very thing that you hate and fear, you will begin healing.
7. We feel that if we feel sensitized, if we can interpret our sensations and symptoms as being physical dangers, then we can be one step ahead of potential cancer or heart attack. So we go on Google, we seek reassurance - anything to make us feel better.
8. When a symptom or fear arises, how are you talking to your body right now? Do you swim in that helplessness? Do you not show it to others and put up the mask all day long?
You have an inner dialogue with yourself when you have health anxiety. That inner dialogue must change. Make sure to think from your conscious mind, and not replaying the same ideas from yesterday.
9. In the moment when fear takes your attention, and you move towards catastrophic ways of perceiving your symptoms - it’s in that very moment you should change something in your body.
Don’t look to grapple for with your thoughts- “think positive think positive… it’s gonna be fine it’s gonna be fine”. You will make it worse because you are only adding it to the adrenaline.
What you want to do is make a change in your body. The best thing you can do is slow down. Watch your speed, go neutral. Allow yourself to trust that the symptoms in combination with those intrusive thoughts will lessen in strength over time. You must trust.
A change in your speed, breathing patterns, posture, a change by using more hand gestures, a change in your facial expression. Whatever that change in body is, you need to make one.
10. You have to build a relationship with the world of the unknown, uncertainty and make peace with peace. You will have to bring your authentic self back. The part of you that isn’t afraid, that sees things as they are - not worse than what they are. You have to bring this person out each and every day in order for you to heal, or else you are just going to keep getting addicted to stress hormones. See beyond your symptoms and intrusive thoughts.
11. These thinking patterns become so habitual, that they affect our emotional states and makes the health anxiety sufferer live in avoidance of certain situations, places, people.
As much as the sufferer think that the fear of dying is related to the root cause of health anxiety, it is also related to the fear of living. They are scared to put themselves out there in case the symptom gets worse, in case they can’t handle it or people won’t understand what they are going through.
12. Anxiety and panic attacks have never killed anybody.
13. You don’t need to focus entirely on your symptoms. If you continue to do so, you’re going to be a hamster running on a wheel and getting nowhere.
14. Seeking reassurance from the comforter (spouse/friend). It becomes habitual to ask them whether a symptom could be related to anxiety or if it’s related to something more serious. Have they ever experienced it as well etc.
15. Health Anxiety symptoms, most of the time, are reflection of experiences from the past that have lead to your sensitized state.
Symptoms may seem physical but it is in-fact a deeper underlying challenge related to a time where you froze in your life, felt helpless, and you couldn’t express yourself; or a time in your life where your expectations weren’t met and you felt lost and disconnected.
16. When you feel a symptom, change your focus. This does not mean distracting yourself, that is a coping tool, it will not heal you. Changing your focus means diverting your attention to a different part of that situation.
Instead on focusing how this symptom can lead to a physical illness, focus on how the symptom is a sign of past intense experiences. It’s simply a warning message asking you whether it is safe or not to do what you are about to do. This will give a completely different meaning to the feeling. This idea that you adopted in your mind will begin traveling into your heart and that is when you will start believing it fully.
It’s literally a convincing game - you are trying to convince the 95% subconscious mind and body that’s gone through all this distress.
17. How to view your symptoms?
Tell yourself that:
My symptoms are a result of accumulation of sensitivity that is in my body.
My symptoms are related to the inner wounded child that still hasn’t had its needs met.
My symptoms are trying to alert my conscious mind that something in this environment is being connected to something that happened in the previous times of my life.
And therefore these symptoms are trying to protect me.
18. Anxiety can produce Dizziness and Dizziness can produce Anxiety.
19. Even if i experience a symptom of anxiety, it’s not something that’s gonna hurt me in the short term or the long term.
20. When that initial fearful thought strikes, you go “omg what is this?” and the adrenaline builds up, making the symptoms stronger and making it difficult to stop the cycle.
Every situation of anxiety is an opportunity for you to practice. When that initial fearful thought or a symptom strikes, you can take a new direction and start to notice when your fear starts to decrease. It decreases when you realize it’s happening due to anxiety and you stop the thoughts right away. If the thoughts continue, do not show any respect to them whatsoever. Turn your focus from your inner world to what is happening around you in your outer world.
21. Every time your symptoms or fear arise, it is an opportunity for you to practice. Every practice is an opportunity to test your predictions of the future threat.
Your catastrophic future predictions do not become true 100% of the time. That is why you are still here reading this Quote. So stop giving respect to your fearful thoughts.
22. Hypnosis takes the thinking conscious mind out of the picture, and gives you the ability to communicate directly with the subconscious mind. This lets you know what core beliefs and memories are sabotaging your recovery. The job of Hypnosis is to reorganize past memorize and discharge stored emotions so you can start to perceive your symptoms differently.
23. When you are having a panic attack
1. Allow the symptoms and sensations to take place. Let them happen and don’t give them importance or respect that they crave. This will stop any further adrenaline spikes.
2. Distract your focus and get your adrenaline out of the system by walking/jogging. Set a challenge of walking and coming back within a time limit. This will help in focus distraction.
3. Let the storm pass.
Over a period of time, this management of panic attack/anxiety will become habitual.
24. 10 things severe health anxiety sufferers don’t do:
1. surround with negative people.
2. look up their new symptoms of anxiety online.
3. looking for instant results and expecting on when the recovery will be achieved.
4. They stop scanning for the bad and begin focusing on the good.
5. Don’t turn to a doctor for answers each and every time a new challenge comes up.
6. They stop playing the victim card when speaking to others.
7. Don’t speed through life.
8. Know the difference between good advice and bad advice.
9. Stop avoiding everything you fear. One brave step can create incredible momentum. Talking back to body zaps to let your subconscious know that YOU KNOW that it’s caused by anxiety.
10. They know that they are not a mind reader and they don’t try to fit in.