1. My Nafs screams out for what it desires. But my will to be free screams louder.
2. The path to the Truth is a labour of the heart, not of the head. Make your heart your primary guide! Not your mind. Meet, challenge and ultimately prevail over your nafs with your heart. Knowing your ego will lead you to the knowledge of God.
3. Nafs defines the attributes of Body and Spirit (Rooh).
4. NAFS =
desires and free will.
5. Quran Chapter 15
(28) "So, when I have fashioned him completely and breathed into him (Adam) the soul which I created for him, then fall (you) down prostrating yourselves unto him."
(29) "All the angels prostrated before Adam"
(30) "Except Iblis (Satan), - he refused to be among the prostrators."
6. Halal is not just what we eat, but also what we wear and what we love.
7. Quran Chapter 91
(7) "and by the soul and that (Power) which designed it"
(8) "and inspired it with knowledge of evil and piety,"
(9) "those who purify their souls will certainly have everlasting happiness"
8. Quran Chapter 75, (about an-nafs al-mutma innah)
(27) "(It will be said to the pious): "O (you) the one in (complete) rest and satisfaction!"
9. Your worst enemy is hiding within yourself, and that enemy is your nafs or false ego.
10. To have peace of mind, you must go to war with your NAFS.
11. Difference between Rooh and Nafs
Rooh means "soul". Nafs is what Allah enjoins between the soul and the body outside of a mothers womb. So when a child is born, being alive outside a mothers womb necessitates you being a nafs. The Rooh is the soul itself, minus the body.
12. Do tasks which will humble you, which will break your ego.
13. 4 Poisons of the Heart.
1. Unnecessary talking
2. Unrestrained glances
3. Too much food
4. Keeping bad company
14. Quran 12:53, (about an-nafs al-ammarah)
"I do not think that I am free from weakness; all human souls are susceptible to evil except for those to whom my Lord has granted mercy. My Lord is certainly All-forgiving and All-merciful."
15. Quran Chapter 5, (about an-nafs al-luwwamah)
(1) I swear by the Day of Resurrection
(2) and by the self accusing soul (that you will certainly be resurrected).
(3) Do men think that We shall never be able to assemble their bones?
(4) We certainly have the power to restore them even the very tips of their finger.
16. When one talks about being like a dead corpse in the hands of a spiritual teacher it means being able to surrender one's will, specially one's nafs al ammarah, that is a part of our soul which is again a Quranic term, which commands us to evil - we must surrender that. That's what it means. It doesn't make you become part of a cog of a machine.
17. an-Nafs al-ammarah is cattle-like nafs. How does a Goat, Sheep, Cow or a Buffalo attain Happiness? The major characteristics that define the satisfaction of these types of Animals are Eating, Drinking, Sleeping, Breathing and Copulation.
If my cattle-like Nafs is the only focus in my life, I would find more sophisticated means to eat, drink, sleep and copulate.
18. "Do not curse the wind, for it is from the mercy of Allah, bringing Rahmah (i.e., rain and breezes), or destruction. But ask Allah for its goodness, and seek refuge with Allah from its evil."
[Sunan Ibn Majah 3727]
19. The ego is the veil between Humans and God.
20. Types of Nafs (Soul)
1- Nafs Al Ammara - The inciting self commanding and luring us to do evil, making one a slave of their desires, passion and lust. The most lower and beastly self.
2- Nafs al Lawamma - The self-aware and self-accusing self. Nafs doing wrong but says "I shouldn't be doing this". The repentful, remorseful self.
3-Nafs al Mutma'inna - The self at peace. In complete submission of its being to God, with no more conflict; doing the right things by nature, not by compulsion. Happy with the will of God.
Tags: Nafs | Word Meaning | Soul Searching | Soul | Evil | Inciting | Luring | Lust | Materialistic | Beast | Animals | Repent | Remorse | Peace | Submission | Free Will | Nature | Compulsion | Happiness | Meaning Of Life | Purpose of Life | Life Is A Test | Will | Tranquility | Doing The Right Thing | Human Nature |
21. "And they ask you (O Muhammad SAW) concerning the Ruh (the Spirit); Say: "The Ruh (the Spirit): it is one of the things, the knowledge of which is only with my Lord. And of knowledge, you (mankind) have been given only a little."
22. Ya Allah! Save me from my nafs; for I am my own worst enemy!
23. Angels are obedient to God by compulsion.
Human beings have an interesting aspect to them; human beings can choose one of two things.