1. People who say they don't care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don't care what people think.
2. If we are desperate, though, if we have nothing to lose, or if we are full of enthusiasm for life, then the unknown reveals itself, and our universe changes direction.
3. It's not politically correct to say that you love one child more than you love your others.
I love all of my kids, period, and they're all your favorites in different ways.
But ask any parent who's been through some kind of crisis surrounding a child--a health scare, an academic snarl, an emotional problem--and we will tell you the truth.
When something upends the equilibrium--when one child needs you more than the others--that imbalance becomes a black hole.
You may never admit it out loud, but the one you love the most is the one who needs you more desperately than his siblings.
What we really hope is that each child gets a turn. That we have deep enough reserves to be there for each of them, at different times.
All this goes to hell when two of your children are pitted against each other, and both of them want you on their side.
4. "What a desperate, pathetic fool I was. Time after time, my "friends" had shown me their true colors. Yet, I still wanted to believe they were sorry for causing me pain."
-Book: Please stop laughing at me, p.128
5. Why do they fight so desperately to mask what they are?
Or is it that they become who they are when they put on the mask?
Sometimes I wonder what you hide behind, my silent friend.
What mask do you wear?
Or are you just as afraid as the rest of them?
6. The desperate usually succeed because they have nothing to lose.