1. The last capitalist we hang shall be the one who sold us the rope.
2. Go on, get out! Last words are for fools who haven't said enough!
3. Let the ruling classes tremble at a Communistic revolution. The proletarians have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to win.
Workingmen of all countries unite!
4. The oppressed are allowed once every few years to decide which particular representatives of the oppressing class are to represent and repress them.
5. A specter is haunting Europe—the specter of Communism. All the powers of old Europe have entered into a holy alliance to exorcise this specter; Pope and Czar, Metternich and Guizot, French radicals and German police spies.
6. If anything is certain, it is that I myself am not a Marxist.
[In a letter about the peculiar 'Marxism' which arose in France 1882]
7. It is high time that Communists should openly, in the face of the whole world, publish their views, their aims, their tendencies, and meet this nursery tale of the Specter of Communism with a Manifesto of the party itself.
8. Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form.
9. “The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it.
[These words are also inscribed upon his grave]”
10. Workers of the world unite. You have nothing to lose but your chain.