BHAs: All You Need To Know About Salicylic Acid
BHAs are Beta Hydroxy Acids aka salicylic acid. Works on top layer and deeper into the skin which is why it is good for oily and congested skin. It helps unclog pores, gets rid of lumps and bumps you have on your skin and removed blemishes as well. They are found in Anti-acne products.
Bha Salicylic Acid Quotes
1. BHAs are Beta Hydroxy Acids aka salicylic acid. Works on top layer and deeper into the skin which is why it is good for oily and congested skin. It helps unclog pores, gets rid of lumps and bumps you have on your skin and removed blemishes as well. They are found in Anti-acne products.
2. PHA is Poly Hydroxy acid which is relatively new for skin care. They don't penetrate as deep into the skin as AHAs and BHAs and work on the skin surface without disturbing the delicate layers that lie beneath. Good for people with eczema, rosacea and very sensitive skin.
3. What toner is right for you?
Acne prone or Oily Skin - Green tea and Tree as it's healing without too drying. Look for toners with Salicylic Acid.
Sensitive Skin: Calming toners that are fragrance free, light, alcohol free.
Dry Skin: Toners with fatty acids & amino acids so they moisturize. Absolutely alcohol free toners.
Buy a toner which has no alcohol or it is lower in the ingredients list.
4. Chemical Exfoliators are products which contain a AHA/BHA/PHA, a peeling mask or gel.
Physical Exfoliators is using something like a wash cloth, or a scrub, or using a mechanical spinning brush.
5. On the days when you are not exfoliating, you can use a Retinol. You can use AHA/BHA/PHA and Retinol in the same routine if your skin likes it.
6. AHAs and BHAs can be used every single day, but it is recommended to use it 3-4 times a week because you want to give your skin a break from that intense exfoliation.
7. Mixing AHAs + BHAs:
This is a great combination as it exfoliates your skin pretty well together. Together, they give you an ultimate glow overnight.
Mixing Retinol + AHAs or BHAs
Technically, you can mix them together. Retinol helps your body to produce more skin cells, while exfoliation helps to shed excess skin cells.
Using both the same time can be effective, but you are risking over exfoliating your face.
You can use it if you have been using Retinol or Exfoliants for a long time and have not experienced sensitivity.
The best way is to use Retinol one night, and exfoliate the other night. So one day you produce more skin cells, and the other day you shed the excess skin cells. Perfect!
9. BENZOYL PEROXIDE
A common alternative ingredient to salicylic acid (BHA) which is good for getting rid of acne and acne scars. It is usually found in cleansers.
How to use Niacinamide?
You can find Vit B3 in every stage of your skin care routine. You can use it in combination with AHA/BHA, Hyaluronic Acid, Retinols, Vit C - it mixes well with everything.
It works best on leave on products like essences, serums or night creams.
Use it twice a day, in the morning you may use a product which contains some niacinamide, and at night you may use it in a concentrated form, like a serum.
11. Products are formulated with up to 2% Salicylic Acid. It is best to be used as a Spot Treatment and to be applied only where you see acne and pimples. Spot treatment speeds up the healing process of the acne/pimple.