Backbiting Quotes from famous authors and religious Islamic references on Backbiting. Backbiting is a sin from Islamic perspective and a very bad weakness of humans. These Quotes on Backbiting serve as a reminder to track our own habits and others who backbite.
1. Privacy is power. What people don't know they can't ruin.
2. It’s funny, the people that know the least about me have the most to say.
3. No matter how carefully you choose your words, they’ll always end up being twisted by others.
4. Gossip is called gossip because it’s not always the truth.
5. Rumor travels faster, but it don’t stay put as long as truth.
6. I usually get my stuff from people who promised somebody else that they would keep it a secret.
7. Gossip is easy, politics is hard.
8. I like rumors! I find out so much about me that I didn’t even know.
9. "Do you know what is backbiting?"
They (the Companions) said: "Allah and His Messenger know best."Thereupon he (the Holy Prophet) said: Backbiting implies your talking about your brother in a manner which he does not like. It was said to him: "What is your opinion about this that if I actually find (that failing) in my brother which I made a mention of?" He said: "If (that failing) is actually found (in him) what you assert, you in fact backbited him, and if that is not in him it is a slander."
[Sahih Muslim 2589]
10. You made me feel so special with your fake sweetness in my presence, but I didn't know... you used to stab me with your real bitterness in my absence.
11. Rumors are carried by haters, spread by fools, and accepted by idiots.
12. The only time people dislike gossip is when you gossip about them.
13. Gossip is the art of saying nothing in a way that leaves practically nothing unsaid.
14. Listen carefully to how a person speaks about other people to you. This is how they will speak about you to other people.
15. It is reported by Qays that Amr bin al-Aas (ra) was going somewhere with his friends. They saw a dead mule whose belly had swollen up. Amr (ra)said," By Allah, it is better for one to eat to his full from this (dead mule) than to eat the flesh of a Muslim" (He meant to say that to backbite anyone is worse than eating the meat of a dead animal).
[Al-Adab Al-Mufrad Book 31, Hadith 736]
16. Fill your mind before you empty your mouth.
17. One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that 3 out of 4 murders are committed by people who know their victim.
18. I distance myself from people for a reason.
19. People will question all the good things they hear about you but believe all the bad without a second thought.
20. Gossip, as usual, was one- third right and two- thirds wrong.
21. Don’t be too fast to highlight the weaknesses of other people. That is the quickest way of exposing your own weaknesses.
22. What you don’t see with your eyes, don’t witness with your mouth.
23. I don’t trust anyone who talks bad about someone else to me, they probably talk behind my back too.
24. Don't tell me what they said about me, tell me why they were so comfortable to say it around you.
25. Fake friends; those who only drill holes under your boat to get it leaking; those who discredit your ambitions and those who pretend they love you, but behind their backs they know they are in to destroy your legacies.
26. If they talk about other people with you, they will talk about you with other people.
27. You never look good trying to make someone else look bad.
28. Be warned: A person content to sit with you and criticize others will speak critically of you out of earshot.
29. I’m not mad you told all my friends I’m a psycho. They’re my friends, they already know.
30. Someone who smiles too much with you can sometimes frown too much with you at your back.
31. Only a true friend will tell you what others are saying behind your back.
32. He who bears tales to you, certainly bears tales about you.
33. If gossip were food, many people would be overweight.
34. Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.
35. It's sad how some people are so jealous and intimidated by you that they only have negative things to say when they know absolutely nothing about you.
36. I am delightfully aware that people talk behind my back. It's a pleasure to know that they don't have the guts to say it on my face
37. Once people stop talking with you then they start talking about you.
38. He who bears tales to you, certainly bears tales about you.
39. Surprise the world with your character and humility to the extent they quit backbiting.
40. When you be yourself and don't fake it... You are judged.
41. The mission or ministry of backbiters is to bite you at the back. When they backbite you, move forward. If you turn back to talk back or fight them, you descend to their low class.