Seth Godin Quotes
Seth W. Godin is an American author and former dot com business executive. His Ventures include Yoyodyne, which was eventually sold to Yahoo in 1998 for $30 million and became Yahoo's vice president of direct marketing. In March 2006, Godin launched Squidoo. In July 2008, Squidoo was one of the 500 most visited sites in the world. By 2014, it was sold to HubPages.
Godin has wrote several books and is considered to be one of the most influential Marketing gurus of our time. Buy Seth Godin's Books on Amazon
1. Marketing is a contest for people's attention.
2. Marketing is no longer about the stuff you make, it is about the stories you tell
3. Everyone is not your Customer.
Tags: Sales |
4. Whats the value of a brand? The value of a brand is how much extra am I paying above the substitute. And if I am not paying extra, there is no brand.
5. Don’t find customers for your products, find products for your customers.
6. Direct Marketing is measured marketing. You can measure it, you can act differently. You can see what happened on Tuesday, and change what happened on Wednesday. Brand Marketing is a Cheetos commercial. Brand Marketing is the AirBnB Logo. You can't test an AirBnB logo - It's their logo. That's the way you tell a story of who you are.
7. Instead of wondering when your next vacation is, maybe you should set up a life you don’t need to escape from.
8. People do not buy goods and services. They buy relations, stories and magic
9. Don’t try to be the ‘next’. Instead, try to be the other, the changer, the new.
10. A lot of individuals who don't own the company like Brand Marketing coz you can't get in trouble for a long time - coz no one knows if it's working.
11. If Nike opened a Hotel, I think we would be able to guess pretty accurately what it would be like.
If Hyatt came out with sneakers, we'd have no clue, because Hyatt doesn't have a brand. They have a Logo. If you swapped the logos, I would'nt know if I am in a Hyatt or a Hilton. No Brand. When you have a brand, you have made promise to people and people have expectations.
Tags: Branding | Marketing | Digital Marketing | Strategy | Planning | Entrepreneurship | Social Media | Logo | Design | Promise | Expectations | Customer Service | Customer Engagement | Customer Experience |
12. You have no business being a marketer, unless you have empathy for people you are seeking to serve.
13. Selling to people who actually want to hear from you is more effective than interrupting strangers who don’t.
14. The reason it seems that price is all your customers care about is that you haven’t given them anything else to care about.
15. Anxiety is experiencing failure in advance.
16. We don’t need more stuff. We need more humanity.
17. Waiting for perfect is never as smart as making progress.
18. Take appropriate risks, risks that keep you in the game even if you fail.
19. If you use your money to create exceptional products and services, you won’t need to spend it on advertising.
20. Turning your passion into your job is easier than finding a job that matches your passion.
21. You have to push yourself to be spectacularly better at the thing you bring to the marketplace than most people. And you can.
22. Liberate yourself from the need to be right.
23. We are all special in our own way the moment we choose to be.
24. The enemy of fear is creativity.
25. We don't have to look at the biggest possible market but the smallest possible market. The smallest possible market that can sustain us. To bring something to that group of people that they can't imagine being without.
26. Playing safe is very risky.
27. If you think about how you heard about Facebook or Twitter, you didn't hear it from Advertising. You heard it from people who benefited.
When you reach an advertiser, you are targeting a lot of people. I don't need to do that (yet). What I need to do is give the people (who trust me) a really good reason to tell their friends.
28. If you are doing brand marketing, do not attempt to measure it because it cannot me measured.
29. If we can write down your Job, we can find someone cheaper to do it. In fact, the thing we might find to do it might not even be a person.
30. People are totally entitled to their own opinion. But they are not entitled to their own facts.
31. You don't get attention unless you're trusted. You don't get trusted unless you get attention. The question is how do you get there? I think you do it by being generous. People trust people who keep their promises, especially when it's not convenient.