Inspirational Maya Angelou Quotes on Women, Love and Life. Top Rated collection of Maya Angelou Sayings with Images compiled for you
Maya Angelou Quotes
1. I love to see a young girl go out and grab the world by the lapels. Life's a bitch. You've got to go out and kick ass.
2. I don’t believe an accident of birth makes people sisters or brothers. It makes them siblings, gives them mutuality of parentage. Sisterhood and brotherhood is a condition people have to work at.
3. If we lose love and self-respect for each other, this is how we finally die.
4. Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
5. When someone shows you who they really are, believe them.
6. I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
7. The caged bird sings with a fearful trill,
of things unknown, but longed for still,
and his tune is heard on the distant hill,
for the caged bird sings of freedom.
8. Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.
9. You may write me down in history
With your bitter, twisted lies,
You may trod me in the very dirt
But still, like dust, I'll rise.
Does my sassiness upset you?
Why are you beset with gloom?
’Cause I walk like I've got oil wells
Pumping in my living room.
Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise.
Did you want to see me broken?
Bowed head and lowered eyes?
Shoulders falling down like teardrops,
Weakened by my soulful cries?
Does my haughtiness offend you?
Don't you take it awful hard
’Cause I laugh like I've got gold mines
Diggin’ in my own backyard.
You may shoot me with your words,
You may cut me with your eyes,
You may kill me with your hatefulness,
But still, like air, I’ll rise.
Does my sexiness upset you?
Does it come as a surprise
That I dance like I've got diamonds
At the meeting of my thighs?
Out of the huts of history’s shame
Up from a past that’s rooted in pain
I'm a black ocean, leaping and wide,
Welling and swelling I bear in the tide.
Leaving behind nights of terror and fear
Into a daybreak that’s wondrously clear
Bringing the gifts that my ancestors gave,
I am the dream and the hope of the slave.
10. The Black female is assaulted in her tender years by all those common forces of nature at the same time that she is caught in the tripartite crossfire of masculine prejudice, white illogical hate and Black lack of power. The fact that the adult American Negro female emerges a formidable character is often met with amazement, distaste and even belligerence. It is seldom accepted as an inevitable outcome of the struggle won by survivors and deserves respect if not enthusiastic acceptance.
Tags: Black Lives Matter |
11. Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.
I've had rainbows in my clouds.
Still, when it looked like the sun wasn't going to shine anymore, God put a rainbow in the clouds.
God puts rainbows in the clouds so that each of us - in the dreariest and most dreaded moments - can see a possibility of hope.
You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them. Try to be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Do not complain. Make every effort to change things you do not like. If you cannot make a change, change the way you have been thinking. You might find a new solution.
12. We delight in the beauty of the butterfly but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty.
13. I’ve learned that whenever I decide something with an open heart, I usually make the right decision.
14. We need much less than we think we need.
15. If I am not good to myself, how can I expect anyone else to be good to me?
16. Without courage we cannot practice any other virtue with consistency. We can’t be kind, true, merciful, generous, or honest.
17. I’ve learned that even when I have pains, I don’t have to be one.
18. If you’re always trying to be normal you will never know how amazing you can be.
19. You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.
Tags: Creative |
20. Nothing will work unless you do.
Tags: Work Motivation |
21. Pretty women wonder where my secret lies.
I’m not cute or built to suit a fashion model’s size
But when I start to tell them,
They think I’m telling lies.
It’s in the reach of my arms,
The span of my hips,
The stride of my step,
The curl of my lips.
I’m a woman
I walk into a room
Just as cool as you please,
And to a man,
The fellows stand or
Fall down on their knees.
Then they swarm around me,
A hive of honey bees.
It’s the fire in my eyes,
And the flash of my teeth,
The swing in my waist,
And the joy in my feet.
I’m a woman
Men themselves have wondered
What they see in me.
They try so much
But they can’t touch
My inner mystery.
When I try to show them,
They say they still can’t see.
It’s in the arch of my back,
The sun of my smile,
The ride of my breasts,
The grace of my style.
I’m a woman
Now you understand
Just why my head’s not bowed.
I don’t shout or jump about
Or have to talk real loud.
When you see me passing,
It ought to make you proud.
It’s in the click of my heels,
The bend of my hair,
the palm of my hand,
The need for my care.
’Cause I’m a woman
22. My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style
23. Every storm runs out of rain.