Error while exporting a video from QuickTime
If you are using QuickTime to export a file and you get the error “You do not have permission to save in this location”, just keep the QuickTime video window open and it will not show this permission error.
Solution 1 - Allow Access
- In the Finder, choose Go > Home.
- Select File > Get Info.
- In the Sharing & Permissions section, click the Action (gear) icon and choose Apply To Enclosed Items. (If the Sharing & Permissions section isn’t showing, click its triangle. If the gear is grayed out, click the lock icon and enter an administrative password.)
- Click OK to confirm, and a progress bar will appear if it takes more than a few seconds.
- When complete, launch Applications > Utilities > Terminal.
- In Terminal, enter the follow and press return:
diskutil resetUserPermissions / `id -u`
- Apple says if that command fails with an error, enter the following and press return and then follow step 6 again:
chflags -R nouchg ~
Solution 2- Recovery
If that doesn't solve the problem, you have a second option, which requires a restart so you can invoke it from Recovery:
The Reset Password option in Recovery mode lets you fix permissions associated with your home directory.
- Select > Restart.
- After the Mac shuts down and makes the startup chime, immediately hold down Command-R to boot into Recovery mode.
- After the Recovery screen appears, select the menu item Utilities > Terminal.
- Type resetpassword and press Return. Don’t worry: this won’t reset your password.
- A dialog appears from which you can select your startup volume if it’s not selected by default.
- Pick your username from the Select the User Account dropdown menu.
- In the lower-right corner of the screen, click Reset next to the Reset Home Directory Permissions and ACLs area (There is no hidden option like that as far as i tried).
- Now choose File > Quit, and then in the main Recovery window, choose > Restart.
When your system comes back up with your OS X installation, this problem should be resolved.
Table of contents